Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Things to do in Baton Rouge when you're post-EDD

Being an enormously responsible freelance writer, I made sure I wrapped up all of my work by early October just in case Ryan came early. Well, that didn't happen, which means I've had about 3 weeks of time on my hands that aren't being taken up by feeding the baby, diapering the baby, putting the baby to sleep, feeding the baby, diapering the baby...you get the picture.

With these extra days, I've found some diversions, some of which I haven't had the chance to partake in for quite some time. I thought I'd share my list of great things to do in Baton Rouge if you've got the time, in no particular order:

1. Walk around the LSU Lakes
2. Hang out at Perks Coffee and read...Yesterday, I finished "Wicked," by Gregory Maguire, over a latte (the first caffeine I've had in 9 months). A very odd read, lots of fun if you're a fan of the Wizard of Oz.
3. Sculpt. Crayola has a modeling clay that doesn't make a mess and dries in 24 hours.
4. Blog
5. Write poetry. I actually went to grad school so I could do this, but do ever get time to do it? Hardly. So getting a chance to is a gift.
6. See movies. Last night, we caught "Proof." A very compelling performance by Gwyneth Paltrow.
7. Swim. I've taken to swimming the past 9 months and love it. Being the competitive type that I am (read: incapable of working out just for the fun of it), I focused my swim time by attempting to master the Total Immersion swim technique. I think my swimming improved, so maybe a triathlon is in my future?
8. Read. I just started "Truth and Beauty" by Ann Patchett. So far, so good. Thanks for the recommendation, Mom!
9. Work. Yes, I finally decided I'd better start working on stuff that's due in January so that I can have a bit more time on that end...I KNOW Ryan will be here by then!! Right?
10. Cook. Last night, I made vegetarian Shepards Pie from this cookbook. Fantastic!

4 Comments:

Blogger Carrie said...

Sounds like you are having a peaceful last few days before Ryan shows up. I think that sounds wonderful. BTW, the last few recipes on foodalicious have been mostly veggie soups if you guys happen to be in soupy mood (may require some veggie broth or soy milk substitution).

2:24 PM

 
Blogger Amy Alexander said...

That blog seems really cool. I added it to my feeds. Thanks!

2:37 PM

 
Blogger Amy Alexander said...

Wait...Is that Carrie you?

2:41 PM

 
Blogger Carrie said...

It is indeed me. :-) This is our communal recipe repository for some of our friends.

3:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home